Saturday, September 26, 2009

Waiting Is Hard: This Time, It's eBook Reader

We had our first book club meeting about a month ago. I've mentioned this before. I finished the book finally and I went to start looking for the next book to suggest for the club at Borders.

When I walked in, there was a while table displaying Sony's eReader. A whole table. Previously, the reader is tucked in the corner of the store where it's hardly seen and if you happen to come across it, it's by chance and for the most part, it's a dummy model.

Now, the table full of eReader boxes and accessories (the boxes are empty) demonstrates how serious bookstores like Borders and Barnes and Noble are getting into electronic reading. As I've previously mentioned, I've been reading books on a Palm for years and more recently on my iPhone and iPod Touch. But upon see the display, it got me thinking about getting a reader again.

Previously, Dave the Mobile Warrior discussed waiting until everything is on the market so a side-by-side-by-side-by-side comparison can be made. That's four "sides". Kindle 2 (maybe version 3) versus Sony eReader Daily Edition versus Plastic Logic versus the fabled Apple tablet. Later on the tablet which I know, is wishful thinking. But just bare with me.

Kindle 2 is the top dog right now in the ebook world. But it's got a lot of competition now and more later this year and early 2010.

The factors to consider is the DRM these books support and what open options they will support like ePub. Surprisingly, Sony is ahead in that camp at the moment.

Apple's tablet. It's no ebook reader. Not even close. But what makes it a consideration is the app store. It runs BN's Fictionwise and eReader apps, Kindle, as well as a few other ebook readers. Not to mention a few hundred individual ebooks being sold as apps. One of the things I want to avoid doing is carrying around too many devices. With the iTablet, I'll have a media player, ebook reader, and a mobile computer all roll into one. The pitfall here is that no one knows for sure it even exists.

Here are some factors I'll be considering before getting an ebook reader:
  • Size of the library. For instance, I looking to by some Batman comic books but I came across Batman and Philosoph. There was even Kindle version. But it was nowhere to be found in the Barnes and Noble or Sony library. I know this is an obscure title but it shows Amazon's Kindle Library is the one to beat.
  • Price of the books. Generally, Kindle has better prices. In fact, I've yet to see a book that cost less at a competing library than the Kindle version. I'm sure there are but I've yet to come across one. For instance, the Twilight series. Sony offers them for $9.99 straight up for each book in the series. Barnes and Noble comes in with $8.79 for the first two books and $9.99 for the next two. Kindle Store has them both beat with $6.59 for the first two, $7.79 for the third book, and $9.99 for the last one.
  • Price of the reader. You might think this is an important factor. For tech, buying the best is the way to go. It's that whole Mac versus PC argument. It's an issue of personal preference. Obviously, these readers are going to have to stay competitive or else, it makes it easier for mobile readers to go with the cheaper ones.
  • Wireless connection. This is a given. All ebook readers I'm consider, even the ones not on the market yet, will have wireless connectivity. Amazon is working with Sprint. Sony is working with ATT for when their Daily Edition becomes available later this year. Barnes and Noble is going with Verizon Wireless.
  • Touch versus physical keyboard. Kindle is the only one with a physical keyboard. So if that's your thing, then your choice is obvious. Touch is, well, a bit touchy here. For instance, I'm spoiled with the great implementation with iPhone. I don't expect multitouch on any of these readers. But if you're okay with using your fingers, then you've got more choices.
  • Screen. Quality and size. Kindle DX has the biggest screen of all the readers on the market. Plastic Logic will offer a reader with a letter size screen (8.5 x 11). However, it is not sure what version of PL reader will be offered through Barnes and Noble. Sony's readers are between 6-7". As for quality, it varies. It really irks me that I haven't been able to spend a lot of time with the readers, especially the Kindle. Some folks like it while others have said the original Kindle screen was better than the Kindle 2 screen early on.
  • Battery life. If you spend any amount of time reading Onxo, you'll know that battery life is the saddest part of the life of a mobile warrior. But ereaders have a considerable longer battery life than most other devices including netbooks and smartphones. In fact, most claim battery life in thousands of pages turned, or about a couple of weeks of leisurely reading. Still longer would always be welcomed in my book.
I've put together some links with reviews and impressions on the devices on the market. We'll have to wait for Sony's Daily Edition laster this year and Barnes and Noble's reader early 2010. That's the timeline as we know it. Once again, there are a couple of wild cards. Cost, availability, iTablet.
  • iReader Review: This is their impression of the Sony eReader Touch Edition with specs. Remember, this is without wireless connectivity. Personally, I like the size and design. I've decided to pass on this version because the connectivity issue. I'll have to wait for the Daily Edition.
  • Gizmodo review of Sony readers. They've got issues with glares and the pictures to prove it.
  • Taranfx review of Reader Touch. Likes it very much. Also ends with waiting for Apple's tablet.
  • iReader Review puts Kindle and Sony reader for some comparison. Advantage, a slight one, goes to Kindle 2. Kindle 3 becomes critical for Amazon.
  • CNet review repeats the same issues others have had with Sony's offerings. Glare and lack of connectivity. CNet also reviewed Kindle 2 and shows it more love. Kindle lacks important stuff like ePub and charges for services that ought to be free.
  • Engadget reviews Kindle 2. Cites cost but Kindle 2 has dropped in price since then. Likes it as an ebook reader but I also get the sense they're waiting for the iTablet.
  • Wired declares Kindle 2 the best reader at this time.
  • iReader Review offers their take on the Kindle DX. Likes Kindle 2 for every day book reading.
  • Engadget: Plastic Logic with 3G.
  • ZDNet on iRex's offering in working with Verizon Wireless and Barnes and Noble. This one kind of snuck up on me. For sale in October only at Best Buy.
  • All Things Digital demo of Plastic Logic's ereader. I'm liking what I see...a lot.
Here are a few videos review of some of the readers I've mentioned here.

Sony Reader Touch:


Kindle 2 Review:


So, absorb as much information as you can and more will be coming as the pending devices are coming. Do look at demo from All Things Digtal for Plastic Logic. In fact, I recommend going to the different stores like Sony and Best Buy to see them for yourself. Bottomline, it's about personal preference. eBook readers are not for everyone.

I still love thumbing between pages of real books but appreciate the ability to take tons of books on the go with me. Going a step further, I would appreciate a device that does more than reading. 2010 is going to be exciting for book lovers.

Note: I've linked books to the book stores and Kindle 2 as well. You'll always know what I've done. The Amazon links I provided as through my seller account. In the future, I will always disclose this fact if that's the case because I don't want my fellow mobile readers to think I'm pushing something on them for the sake of sales. For the rest of the links, they're simply links I googled or searched.

No comments:

Post a Comment